Monday, July 30, 2012

Pooh's Approval






I am learning a Tibetan text called "The Three Words That Strike the Crucial Point" with a bunch of commentaries that come with it.  It is translated and published as "Lion's Gaze" by Venerable Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche.  The theme is symbolized in a Lion's Gaze; ie a dog will follow the stick when you throw it; but a lion will gaze at the thrower and not follow the stick.  As such, we should watch the mind (ie the thrower) not the phenomenon (the stick) that is created through the mind.  Liberation follow when we pay attention to the mind and realize the phenomena is not so important.   

So I was reading this new translation I received in the mail today; and had a great insight into the nature of mind and thoughts; in how thoughts get self-liberated; a sticky concept I have been struggling to understand.   I was sitting quietly exploring this new insight and understanding.  My eyes were closed and I was sitting cross-legged.  When I opened my eyes, I saw Pooh smiling at me from the comfort of his airplane pilot seat; a favorite toy of my two years old son.  A nice sign I'm onto something cool; and also a nice reminder all this heavy stuff is not a distraction from being a daddy, but enhances the experience, permitting me to be fully present for when he wakes up from his nap...which is right now. 

No comments: